Lower Back Pain While Fishing

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/15 12:37:18 (permalink)
I have 3 slipped discs. Heat on the back helps the muscles relax that are tensed up. Ice does keep the inflamation down somewhat. My neurologist recommends switching between the two when I have an incident.

Wearing a back support belt helps a lot. I roll up a small towel and put it over the discs and then tighten up the belt. The towel helps push them back in place.

Hot showers with a pulsating shower head helps a lot for temp. relief. I have actually got desperate enough to put the dog's shock collar on the muscles that are spazing out. Laugh all you want, but it helped.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/15 14:21:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Over the Hill

I have actually got desperate enough to put the dog's shock collar on the muscles that are spazing out. Laugh all you want, but it helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p0YEc1VDSY
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/16 13:22:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

Anybody experience any lower back pain while fishing?  Obviously a little wear and tear from standing on uneven stream bottoms all day is expected, but anything above the ordinary?

I wrestle and workout a decent amount, so I know my back is in decent shape, but my lower back/hips were so stiff and sore this Saturday that I couldn't take it anymore.  I see the chiropractor on a regular basis as well, and it helps out, but I still get the shooting pain and soreness when I go fishing and it's really cutting into my enjoyment on the stream.

I was thinking of getting a back support belt, or something similar, but I was just wondering if some of you fellas have with a similar problem ever took the next step for this (IE getting fitted for orthodic soles for your wading shoe) and have experienced this issue before.  Im thinking it could be something with sciatica or a poriformis muscle strain, but im too young to be taken out from lower back pain at this stage in the game..

1. Get yourself some wading boots. Them hot black f-me pumps you glued felt on just wont cut it.

2. While fishing either leave your purse in the car or switch it from shoulder to shoulder throughout the day.

3. Lighten the load up some. Just carry what you really need. Lose the lip stick, compact, nail file, and whatever other garbage you must have on you at all times.

4. After a long day of fishing have your life partner rub your back. It will get the blood flowing to the tired muscles. Blood is what heels you know.

Start doing those things and maybe your ouchies will go away. If not just get some pain meds and quit ****n' like the rest of us. Its always a good idea to mix the meds with alcohol.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/16 13:28:20 (permalink)
^ hahahaha yea loomis, def.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2672
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/18 23:49:08 (permalink)
sound advice

Its funny, but actually this weekend pain meds are the only thing that allowed me to fish. After about 3 hours out for the first day, I had to retire....until a friend of mine gave me a vicoden, after that about 6 budwiesers, I fished again all afternoon with no problems at all....had a hard time wading on the rocks and watching my float with clear vision though, but ill take a few missed strikes for that satisfaction.
That was my first time using anything other than holistic means to treat pain, and while they worked, I am still kind of skeptical about it....it's not like me to be put down from pain, but this is just getting to be too much.

Swinger maybe u need to get an ergo chair for your boat then I can fish Toothy critters with you, if u do that ill consider giving the fme pumps back to mountain man, but only until then...
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1992
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/19 09:24:37 (permalink)
glad you made it out Loomis! Sounds like you had a good time, although painful. You're one tough sob!

Also, there ait nothin wrong with shore fishin from a lawn-chair either! Plenty of great places to go!

Take care bud

make sure you never take one of those on an empty stomach, it wreaks havoc on me nausea wise..

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

UPDATED Antidote!
http://antidoteusa.weebly.com
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/19 12:15:45 (permalink)
DaFuNK

glad you made it out Loomis! Sounds like you had a good time, although painful. You're one tough sob!

best quote ever

ORIGINAL: DaFuNK

make sure you never take one of those on an empty stomach, it wreaks havoc on me nausea wise..

haha... they say cannabis can help that, just saying.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2010/04/19 12:54:31 (permalink)
I posted a topic about this a couple years ago.
I have always had trouble with pain in my lower back and sciatica.
someone mentioned the belt, and I bought one and tried it and it didn't work.
I don't get pain while fishing much these days and I think it may be because I have better developed back and core muscles from playing derby.

I have recently gone back to the chiropractor because of a bad fall last month resulting in injury to my tailbone and a minor case of whiplash.
through deep tissue massage, adjustments, and exercises, I'm feeling a whole lot better, just a little bit of tension left in my upper back from the whiplash.

I hope you can find relief from your pain!

oops, I thought I read through to the last page....
sounds like you found some relief lol
but I still hope you find some long-term relief, without using the hard stuff that clouds your vision
post edited by FisherChic - 2010/04/19 12:59:10
Sandnesspeak
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Lower Back Pain While Fishing 2016/05/24 01:22:20 (permalink)
I live with lower back pain. I understand what you going trough. I don't think weight matters, I'm 5"11 and 145 pounds. My doctor is saying that surgery may help, but there no guarantee. I exercise when I can along with physical therapy. I hope to keep the surgery away. There is some workout to help strengthen your core that will help your back.And all this was suggested by . I hope you feel better.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: