first time steelhead trip

Author
slimmypebble
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/02 23:40:05 (permalink)

first time steelhead trip

I have been fishing for stocked browns and rainbows for over ten years but have never gone for steelhead. So I am looking for any tips or info that would be helpful.

11 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/02 23:47:40 (permalink)
    Stockie Rainbows, and Steehead are basically the same animal, with the same basic behavior patterns. Just fish for them the same way. Steelheading in nowhere near the rocket science that some like to "believe" it is.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    steelheaders#1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 02:39:18 (permalink)
    Read the articles under stream fishing on main page. This should be enough to get you started out. Best to go uup after a rain when skien works as a powerful scent attractor in the off colored water. Fishing in gin clear condition means light line and a flourocarbon leader with hooks in small 16-20 size range.  If you need any otehr poiners drop me a line

Fish ON!  ------<*}}}}}><       steelheaders rule!!

Let*s go PENS!!!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 07:06:11 (permalink)
    Yell fish on when you hook one, this makes other anglers aware that you have a 4-15 pounds of angry fish on your hands. They SHOULD bring in their lines and let you land the fish, as you SHOULD do the same for them. But this is Erie we are talking about,(No harm meant to the locals !) sight fishing for fish of that size makes a lot of people stupid and thoughtless. Watch some of the guys who are consistantly hooking fish and don't be afraid to explain your "newness" to the sport. A lot of guys will help you out and give some advice. Switch up bait/flys if they are not hitting, try to figure out what they want , they can be finicky at times. I agree with Spoonie, it is not rocket science as some will tell you. Heck I saw a guy catching them on a piece of his orange T-shirt one time(TRUE). They wanted that color and thats all he had. They will take a variety of live baits, grubs, eggs, minnows, worms etc... Plus all of the steelhead flies like sucker spawn, cyrstal spawn, glow bugs, nuke eggs,moe eggs, stoneflies, hares ear, woolley buggers etc... Try not to crowd into a hole, EVEN THOUGH IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU ON EVERY TRIP ! And exect to get tanggled up with other guys, it will happen, thats part of it, mostly because guys will cast over you or not know how to drift. I've met a lot of reallly nice guys on the tribs and some A-holes as well.They can be line shy at times,if you spin fish pick up a noodle rod and string it up with some good 4lb test with a good reel with a good drag, McCoy Mean Green is really good line or order some Tectan from Cabelas, its thinner and super strong, go with the 6.5 lb in this. If you fly rod, 6-8 weight will do fine.  Hope this helps a little.
    JEB  
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 10:40:05 (permalink)
    JEB gave you some very good advice.  As for changing up your bait and flies, that is very important.  With it being low and clear, the fish are very spooky so most folks will go with very small flies and bait.  That is pretty much the standard, but and this is a HUGE but, do not let the low and clear rule of small flies and bait completely decide what you use.  I switched up this morning from a small glo bug and black flashback pheasant tail to a very large black woolly bugger and on the first cast got a hit.  I missed the fish because I was not expecting it, but in the next few casts I had several followers.  Sometimes changing to a larger fly can pay off.

One other thing is how much weight to use.  In the very shallow water we have now, you do not need very much.  A tiny split shot should do the trick, but keep an eye on your fly or bait and make sure it is in front of the fish.  If it is sitting on the bottom and the fish are swimming all around it, you need to use less weight.  The drifts are pretty hard right now, so you need to keep the fly or bait moving.  Don't be afraid of giving the line a little jiggle every now and then.

Good luck and I hope you get to feel the steel soon.

pax vobiscum +
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 11:31:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Bug, nice to hear !
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 11:38:02 (permalink)
    slimypebble -

the advice you got from these guys is good.  here's one thing i'd add.  when the steelhead run is at its peak - later this month to mid november  - and the water has good flow and color, getting a steelhead to bite is not a whole lot harder than getting a regular rainbow or brown trout to bite.  landing them is another thing though.  don't be too intimidated or daunted.  if you can catch browns & rainbows, with a few minor adjustments, you'll catch plenty of steelhead. 
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 11:41:18 (permalink)
    Last saturday every different nymph a guy next to me threw in front of them they took. then sunday I treid that with no luck so I switched to egg sac with no weight and caught one in 1 cast. then used a single egg with no weight and the strikes came left and right. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 12:51:32 (permalink)
    Kyler is right about not using any weight in the low water.  The idea is to get a natural drift with the single egg or egg pattern.  Use as light a tippet as you can and feel comfortable with and be sure to check it often.  As the tippet moves over the stones and shale, it can get nicks in it.  Nothing really stinks more than to be fishing for awhile and finally get a hook up and have the fish break you off because the tippet had a nick in it.

Good luck and may your reels be screaming soon.

pax vobiscum +
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 16:08:59 (permalink)
    If you nymph fish for trout your qualified to catch steelhead. Steelhead aren't that intelligent, however they make up for that with the fight and know how on playing fish is key. Technique wise it is the same as you are fishing for stocked rainbows and browns. Bigger fish/bigger fight.
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/03 22:58:48 (permalink)
    Yeah just keep changing up jigs bait eggs flies etc these fish get pounded daily so sometimes try something totally off the wall they have not seen a lot of little secret mint color trout worms big males love these especially mid nov on

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    slimmypebble
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: first time steelhead trip 2007/10/04 22:54:33 (permalink)
    hey everyone thanks for the great info and tips. i am heading out early friday morning and cant wait to try my luck.

thanks slimmy pebble
    Jump to: