Extra Fish

Author
Liverache
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 611
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/18 12:20:41 (permalink)

Extra Fish

Just a thought,after talking with  alot of fishermen this year I kept on hearing how much fish they have in the freezer and that they will never use all of it. My thought is why not give it to some food pantry, soup kitchen or someone who could use it,  but "Please Dont Waste",you would be surprised at how good it makes you feel

20 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 12:30:48 (permalink)
    Nice thought.

Here is another for those fishermen:

YOU DON"T HAVE TO KEEP EVERYTHING YOU CATCH !!!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 13:09:46 (permalink)
    Hmmmm.  Catch a fish, AND put it back.  Hmmmmmm.  An interesting idea.  Somebody should come up with a catchy phrase for that process.

post edited by T.T. - 2007/09/18 16:52:24
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 13:43:09 (permalink)
    T.T.

I think the creel limit should be 2 fish with the option for a third with a tag.  Tags could be purchased at any bait and tackle shop and the proceeds go for stream access.  The reason for a creel of two is if you want to keep a fish you can without having to worry about being over your limit.  Most people do not realize that if they have three fish on a stringer and continue to fish, they will be breaking the law once they land and take into hand the fourth fish.  Even if they return it, they are at the moment of handling that last fish over their limit.  I know it may seem like spliting hairs, but if you kill that fish, you are in trouble.  Culling fish is not allowed so putting one back that has been on a stringer is not an option..... So with a two fish limit, you can still have a fish and keep fishing and if for some reason you kill a fish you will have the option of keeping it without being violation of the law.  Also, as far as I know, if you catch a fish and give it away, that fish counts towards your daily limit.

I know any changes to the rules will cause an up roar and I can only wait to hear the, "....I paid my license fee and I am entitled to the fish...." argument so let the games begin, but a reasonable limit of 2 fish, with the option for a tag for a third seems fair to me.

pax vobiscum +
    Liverache
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 15:17:13 (permalink)
    I am talking about edible fish(perch, walleye and such)most people I know dont eat steelys,I am not  a steely catcher like you all, as it seems most that post here this time of year are. I couldnt care less if you practice CR, just "PLEASE" do something with the fish you all have in the freezer and good luck to all you people coming  up here to fish, I am 1 local who welcomes all
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 15:32:25 (permalink)
    Sorry to sidetrack your thread.  It's a good idea.  I wont be giving my walleye away, but appreciate what you're trying to do.
    wilson
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 15:35:42 (permalink)
    T.T., Bughawk,   I understand what you are saying and trying to cut back on the amount of fish that people choose to keep is okay and/or protecting the person who lands that fourth fish is okay too but isn't that what the "Fish Police" are for?  If that person wants to gamble or take the risk of being caught then so be it and I hope he or she gets caught.  I myself catch and release and also take some for the road.  I travel 3 hours and enjoy the fishing and the fact that I can limit out and go home.  I don't make many trips a year (2 or 3 trips) but when I go, I bring back my limit, good Lord willing.  During my day of fishing I choose to keep or release the fish as I catch them and depending on how lucky I feel about catching my next, but after the third fish I go home.  But I do not like the idea of 2 fish limit and paying for a third tag, I (we) pay enough now...  It sounds to me like somebody came up with this idea to discourage the "Out of Towner", "Muper" from coming to Erie to fish and/or if he or she does come to fish you have to pay extra.  I know the tags would apply to "All", but it might just stop others from coming.  I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just injecting my thoughts.

P.S.  Is the fish population really that bad?  I have been making the trip for the past three years (no trips this year) and have always seen a nice number of fish each trip.  Maybe I am missing something?
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 15:48:04 (permalink)
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it.  I believe those who preach to me what I need and what I do not need are far more dangerous than those that take their legal limit.  Moral entrepreneurship is a double-edged sword.  Please keep this in mind.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 15:51:30 (permalink)
    No offense meant, but I just started a new thread for this topic.  Let's debate it there.

post edited by T.T. - 2007/09/18 16:53:23
    wilson
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 16:28:51 (permalink)
    Now it sounds like it is more about the "MONEY".  You mention the Erie Stamp money that will dry up when the program ends.  What program are you talking about?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Erie Stamp just get reinstated within the last couple of years?  How did the money come about in the years prior to stock the smolt and manage the land?
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 16:42:48 (permalink)
    Where is the thread for for lowering the limit?

Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 18:16:23 (permalink)
    Pulling fish(Perch,Walleye(sometimes),and especially steelhead) up from 50-60 feet down doesnt give them a good chance of survivial once they been brought up, its such a pressure change their bodies cant adapt to the catch and release. I think every perch brought up from 50++ down thats over 7inches must be kept make it a law. So many pigs I see people pitching back 9inchers(which end up being seagull bait) to get a 10incher. My experience with small walleye that are under sized often dont always show a strike and they end up being towed around for a mile or two. I caught two a month ago that were 14 1/2 inches off my riggers, and neither one swam away. Anyone who has ever caught a steelhead in open water knows what that fish has been thru and often keeps it because they know the fish has a very small chance of living. Catch and release is great when fishing from shore. Most people dont buy thousands of dollars in  gear and nice boats to do catch and release. They wanna catch fish and eat it all winter long. I have donated fish to the soup kitchen, the EPSFA tourneys have donated alot of fish to the needy which I was a part of as well. I doubt many waste walleye and perch. Only waste I see is throwing back a dead fish
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 19:25:03 (permalink)
    I do not eat steelhead,i do not keep steelhead,I do remember reading last year that guys were emptying the freezer to make room for more eyes do to banner year...
    PURE GREED...plane and simple!!!!

Wilson you are not missing nothing... they think the steelhead will run out...

I will say it agian...PUT AND TAKE..
    NICE TRY BOYS...LOL
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 19:44:19 (permalink)
    Carp, hit the nail on the head. When I said you don't HAVE to keep everything, I just meant there is no need to be greedy.

Keep what you need or can use within the legal limit and let the rest go......you can do it, just take a deep breath and release the ones you can't use. I mean if you release them into the trash after they have been frozen for a year, nobody else gets to enjoy them.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/09/18 19:47:18

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 20:11:57 (permalink)
    I agree no need to kill fish just because you can, I do not
    kill any fish & that is my thing if you eat them fine as long as
    you keep the limit only & not trash them when you get home
    coho yokel 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 21:43:47 (permalink)
    yeah i agree how many of us know someone who keeps 3 goes home parades theh around the neighborhood dried out ice cube marks etc then 6 months later the wife says honey what do you want to do with all these fish?/ put them outside for the coons WASTE!!!!  i say invest in a good digital camera take pictures yhey last longer besides you can capture the pure beauty of the fish colors etc nothing looks worse thah some slob standing in front of a sink full of dishes holding a GUTTED STEELHEAD!!!!!

No one of us
    knows more than all of us
    (Bill Herzog)
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/18 23:29:18 (permalink)
    this is the reason i don't hunt anymore.  i enjoyed hunting, bragging about the buck i shot etc. but i didn't enjoy eating the meat . i love to fish because i can put it back while still enjoying the experience.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/19 12:21:27 (permalink)
    Just hunt with a paint ball gun and a camera........

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/19 15:10:33 (permalink)
    want a steelhead to survive when caught on the lake, don't net it, release it at the side of the boat in the water, it will survive as all did I released this year !  A little harder I admit but works.   Perch, little different ending I'm afraid.   Dave
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/19 15:13:22 (permalink)
    Boy do the seagulls love the perch fishermen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Extra Fish 2007/09/19 21:31:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Just hunt with a paint ball gun and a camera........

i have hunted with a camera before (in the off season of course)  it is quite enjoyable. the only deer i'd have any interest in shooting are the ones that ate my tomato plants.  
    post edited by BirdsNest - 2007/09/19 21:34:39
    Jump to: