Four Mile Creek

Author
nymphus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/16 23:00:14 (permalink)

Four Mile Creek

While in Erie I heard about recent changes that have taken place on Four Mile Creek.  Two dams have been removed and next year fish ladders will be installed at the waterfall so the steelhead can move upstream to spawn.  According to experts at DEP, these changes will mean new access for anglers thus relieving some of the pressure on Walnut and Elk Creek.

Personally, I have never been to Four Mile.  I know that it is a rather small tributary that runs through a golf course.  I can't see how this change will ease the shoulder to shoulder angling conditions on Walnut and Elk? 

What's your thoughts?

nymphus

8 Replies Related Threads

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/16 23:44:52 (permalink)
    It will. Lots of public land upstream too.
    A new place to stock, perhaps lowering the numbers stocked on other streams that are posted or have the private excusive clubs on them.
    Chris
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/17 01:37:41 (permalink)
    There is another thread on this topic. The ladders near the mouth
    will not be installed until 2008, making the ladders upstream usesless until
    then. I personally don't think this will help alleviate much pressure elsewhere, since 4 mile seems to either be a trickle or a blowout, with not much in between. (I see it almost every day, since I belong to the golf club near the mouth)
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/17 08:59:35 (permalink)
    Agreed Pete.  There are only a few hours of window where four mile has good water.  I can't see how four mile would alleviate any pressure on Elk and Walnut at the same time.  The only reason I'd be fishing four mile would be because Elk and Walnut are blown out.  It may spread a few guys out on the eastside but generally, if four is fishing well, then the west side is blown, if the west side is low, four mile is trickling.  Stock less fish if you want to lower Elk and Walnut pressure.
    maefly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/17 20:33:55 (permalink)
    I will appreciate having another trib to fish on the east side, especially on days when I only have a few hours to fish and don't want to waste that time driving to the west side.  There are several decent holes along it, and it will be nice to hike into the gorge to get away from folks that stay close to their vehicles.  I hope those that like to fish the nut and Elk stick to the west side.  Any additional fishing ground on the east side is a good thing.  Four mile is certainly as big as seven mile, and there are plenty of days to fish that throughout the year.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/19 08:20:20 (permalink)
    I think this is a great idea, its unexplored territory anyways ya know?  Always fun to have something else to fish. I like 4 mile, always have.  The hole at the mouth is always usually holding fish throughout the season and it will be nice to see some spread out because the bottom of the mouth is usually pretty packed, but there are fish there. 
    PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/19 08:50:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nymphus

While in Erie I heard about recent changes that have taken place on Four Mile Creek.  Two dams have been removed and next year fish ladders will be installed at the waterfall so the steelhead can move upstream to spawn.  According to experts at DEP, these changes will mean new access for anglers thus relieving some of the pressure on Walnut and Elk Creek.

Personally, I have never been to Four Mile.  I know that it is a rather small tributary that runs through a golf course.  I can't see how this change will ease the shoulder to shoulder angling conditions on Walnut and Elk? 

What's your thoughts?

nymphus

I don't understand either, because there are already several other alternatives but people insist on fishing Walnut and Elk.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/19 10:02:20 (permalink)
    It is a great addition to the trib family.  Perhaps now the Lawrence Park Fishing Club will no longer snub its nose at everyone knowing that the fish will passs right by their own little stretch.  Karma is a beautiful thing!

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    PAsalmonangler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Four Mile Creek 2007/09/19 12:47:27 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me, thats a nice little stream, it has saved the day many times when the other steams blow out
    Jump to: