How many...

Author
ronnie84
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/16 22:19:39 (permalink)

How many...

...of you guys fish a five weight for steelhead? I've been soley using a Premier eight weight but I happened to purchase a couple Legend Ultra's a few months ago at a good price (three and a five weight). The action and sensitivity of the five weight compared to the eight weight Premier is obviously unparalleled.

I've never fished anything but that eight weight for steelhead and basically I'm wondering, for those who fish lighter weight rods, is there that much of a sacrifice? Obviously I don't want to get into a situation where I'm fighting a fish for 20 minutes in a crowd or have to constantly break bigger fish off.

17 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: How many... 2007/09/16 23:12:39 (permalink)
    "situation where I'm fighting a fish for 20 minutes in a crowd or have to constantly break bigger fish off. "

I would say if you fish a 5wt thats what will happen, plus if you plan to release the fish it would be best not to fight them to exhaustion

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    *steelking*
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: How many... 2007/09/16 23:32:56 (permalink)
    I've done it before but wouldnt really suggest it especially right now when the fish are so fresh. tippy-toe hit the nail right on the head.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: How many... 2007/09/16 23:39:15 (permalink)
    Wait till december
    Chris
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: How many... 2007/09/16 23:56:37 (permalink)
    Yeah, I figured that would be the issue.

Other than the fact that the Premier is a bit bulky (compared to higher priced Sage or Winston's), it's not that bad of a rod. It can also prove to be a good exercise tool after a full day fishin'.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 07:15:49 (permalink)
    I fish nothing but a 6 wt. right now and drop to a 4 wt. in December.  Pa streams do not require any thing more.  If I go to Ohio, I will go up to a   
    7 wt. and NY will normally require an 8 for the Kings and larger steelies.  If you hook the fish in the mouth, rather than the side/tail, they fight for 5-10 minutes tops.  As for fishing in the crowds, that will be your own decision to make.  Tight Lines. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 08:04:48 (permalink)
    Something else to consider is the amount of shot you'll be throwing and the speed of the flow.  Low, cold water would make this setup ideal.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 09:46:43 (permalink)
    ronnie,
    I fish a 5wt quite often up there.  Never seemed to have a problem...as griffon said a fair hooked fish is no problem on a 5wt.  If your going to use a 5wt stay away from the really fast rods because they dont offer any tippet protection.  But, I think you will be fine....Ive fished my buddies legend ultra 4wt for trout and based on that I think the action would be great for steel.

Chris
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 10:16:14 (permalink)
    I used solely a 7' 6" 4 wt for several years while i was in high school and college. the thing about using light rods is playing the fish and casting when using a lot of shot to get down fast. you don't have to fight the fish for 20 minutes if you know how to fight a fish to wear them down quickly. you can't horse the fish in like you can with a larger 7 or 8 wt. you actually have to pay attention to how the fish is fighting and make decisions based on that. things like when they feel like they are going to go for a run. there are times you can stop the run by taking one or two steps with them and not letting them have line, or getting downstream of the fish quickly to be in a better position to fight the fish. i wouldn't exactly recommend using a 5 wt in the middle of a crowd if you haven't used it for steelhead before. the pa streams aren't too bad for using a lighter rod, becuase there isn't as much room for the fish to run. if you don't feel comfortable using it for steelhead, then don't. if you do decide to use it, like aformentioned start in the winter when the fish are more sluggish and get the feel for it first.
    WVU25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 10:42:07 (permalink)
    When i was up this weekend...i only used my 3 weight....just like bigsteeljack said....you just have to pay attention to fish at all times.  It can be alot of fun...i usually use a higher pound tippit and you don't have to fight the fish to exhaustion if you just know what your doing.  but i wouldn't try using a smaller weight rod around alot of people...the fish goes where it wants to go....just my input.
    steelsniper
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 10:52:21 (permalink)
    I agree with tippy-toe. "Right tool for the job" sort of thing. I have seen guys using 5wt. rods in the middle of a crowded hole annoying the hell out of everybody because they dont have enough backbone to control the fish. Comin up! Comin way up!! Comin way up again!!! etc. Leave the 5's and lighter weights for the stream trout and continue to use your 8wt. for the steelies.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 11:05:14 (permalink)
    I generally use a 6wt 9' rod and have no problems with the steelies.  I just bought a 7 wt and it works fine as well.  I even have caught steelies on a 4wt.  The things to keep in mind are the type of fly, how much weight you are using, the water flow, and the time of the year.  When fishing for fresh chromers say near the mouth of the streams where they have plenty of water to run around in, you might want to go with the higher weight rods.  I have had some of these fresh fish that were like a freight train.  Some take off like a shot and it is nearly impossible to stop them and others that run a little and roll right over. 

When the water is high and fast, the fish is not the only concern, you also have the current to think about.  Here you might need more weight to get the flies down and a bit more backbone on the rod to fight the fish if it decides to put its head down in the current. 

One other thing to keep in mind is the power of the rod.  I am no expert on fly rods, but the line wt is not the only consideration.  I have two 4 wt rods.  One is for small stream trout ONLY and the other will handle steelies.  The difference is the construction of the rod. 

Bottom line is use what you are comfortable with and will enjoy and can handle the situation.  As a confessed equipment junkie, I firmly believe you can never have too many rods and reels, that way I can justify buying a variety to meet any conditions I may encounter....  Besides, it is always a thrill to catch your first fish on a new rod...

Good luck...

pax vobiscum +
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2986
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 16:21:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk
      When fishing for fresh chromers say near the mouth of the streams where they have plenty of water to run around in, you might want to go with the higher weight rods.  I have had some of these fresh fish that were like a freight train.  Some take off like a shot and it is nearly impossible to stop them and others that run a little and roll right over. 

One other thing to keep in mind is the power of the rod.  I am no expert on fly rods, but the line wt is not the only consideration.  I have two 4 wt rods.  One is for small stream trout ONLY and the other will handle steelies.  The difference is the construction of the rod. 

Good observations, Buggy.

The 5wt. Ultra Legend Ronnie84 mentions should be fine. In fact, I'd bet it would cast and fish better with a 6 weight line.
    My 4 wt Ultra Legend casts a 6wt line to 30 ft. with no problem. It handles steelhead OK except for hot fish in deep fast current.
    I still prefer my 7 weight cause its more versatile and it can roll casts a long way.

Gone Fishing
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: How many... 2007/09/17 17:37:03 (permalink)
    After holding someone's Sage eight weight at the river a while back (can't remember which model it was), I feel justified to buy a new one. It was about half the diameter and weight as my Premier. Problem is convincing the wife that I need yet another one.

Now that I think about it, while the five weight LU is no Z-Axis, it's not exactly 'slow' either. In other words it's one of the faster rods I've fished so I think I'd be a little concerned with tippet protection...

I haven't fished my Legend Ultra three weight because I've yet to purchase a reel for it, but I can't wait to fish it. It should be a perfect Cool Spring/Neshannock Creek rod.

By the way, didn't mean to sound like I'm fishing the Stop Sign hole or anything exclusively (where all the crowds are). I just meant that, well...from what I've experienced first hand...relative solitude, fish on and suddenly four or five anglers move in from out of nowhere. I've been fishing around Sterrettania with no one but my buddy in sight and had anglers beam down from the clouds...atleast that's what it seamed like. So when I say crowds, that's what I meant. Typically I try and stay away from the lower reaches if I can help it.
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2007/09/17 17:38:36
    StreamWalker28
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: How many... 2007/09/18 08:04:34 (permalink)
    Don't be afraid to to try this 5 weight rod for Steel. I've been using my 5wt croix for Steelhead since October of 2004 and haven't had one that I couldn't bring in. Most of my fish are on the bank in 5 minutes or less NO PROBLEM! I only use my 7/8wt rod if it's windy or I plan on chucking big flies.
    Have fun with the 5wt!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: How many... 2007/09/18 08:29:55 (permalink)
    I used my 5wt up until this year, i will be using a new 7. I really think the action plays the biggest role. If your after the sensitivity try a slow action rod. Both of my nymph rods are the slowest of the slow. I never understood why guys want these stiff 8wt rods when they end up using 4x tippet. Let the rod absorb the shock!
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: How many... 2007/09/20 00:06:38 (permalink)
    I'm pondering purchasing another eight weight and the biggest reason is that...aside from steelhead, I toss a lot of bass bugs throughout the late spring, summer months and target pike here and there.

I've got a BPS gift card I've got to use at some point and I'm considering putting it towards this rod. Needless to say their fly rod selection is pretty terrible, not to mention they're almost all four piece rods (I prefer two piece but I guess it doesn't really matter...). Anyway, I've narrowed it down to an Orvis Power Matrix and a Sage FLi. Any recommendations between the two?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: How many... 2007/09/20 07:42:10 (permalink)
    Yes, go cast them before you buy one.
    Jump to: