Heading out for Walleye

Author
mike1187
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/04 22:15:02 (permalink)

Heading out for Walleye

I'm new to the forum here, but it looks like a good place to learn, and share information.  unfortunately I havent been able to get out trolling for walleye much in the last year or so due to scheduling problems with the people I usually go out with.  it looks like I finally may have some time to get out for the first time this year...  but since I havent been out I dont know where to begin.

I heard most were doing well near the trenches until a couple weeks ago, but it they seem to have dissappeared since then.   I did get one report of someone still getting their limit in a couple hours dragging crawlers across the bottom while drifting in about 45 feet of water over the weekend. 

Has anyone here been out for walleye in the last week or so, and can you offer any suggestions on what/where to try first?  I'll be heading out of walnut, probably tomorow, or thursday afternoon if I can get a half day off work.  If they really are "gone"  perhaps I will just head out for perch, or maybe make a quick run out to the 1st trench to see what I can find with perch as a backup plan.    Its just been a while since I've been "on" the fish to know where to begin.

13 Replies Related Threads

sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/05 00:30:19 (permalink)
    Mike, went out sunday just south of the first trench on my buddies boat. We caught 2 before we ran out of gas (stuck gas gauge). About a half an hour later while floating around we noticed the bite had turned on from the people around us catching them
    Went out today to the mountain and caught 2 more wally's. Will be going out of the nut or Elk tomorrow and will let you know. It hasent been great but still good. By the way, thank you to the lady and gentleman that towed us back into the nut on sunday, it was very much appreciated
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/05 12:36:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report...  I still dont know if I can head out this afternoon or not, but with as calm as the lake is right now I'd really like to try it if I can.  I only have a 16 foot boat, and get sick very easily so the calmer the water the better.....    But that dosent stop me from going out in the bigger waves anyway, I just cant fish too long before its time to head in when the waves get up to the 3-4foot range.
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/05 21:48:50 (permalink)
    Well Mike, I went straight out of Elk today to about 62 feet of water. We set up and started trolling at a Nw direction. We finally found them between the 64 and 68 foot range. Could not get them to hit on anything but copper and I only had one copper harness on my boat. We ended the day with 5 nice eyes. It's not as good as it was but it is well worth the trip out on the water, especially with lake laying as flat as it has the last 2 days and the beautiful sunsets. I only have a 15 foot boat so I know what you mean other than the sea sickness part. Good luck if you head out tomorrow. By the way, heard they were hitting on blueberry too, but didnt have any of those on the boat either.
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/05 22:52:50 (permalink)
    Sounds good.... I was all set to take half a day off work today and head out, until I remembered I was supposed to meet with a contractor here for getting a new roof after work..  Doh!  what a beautifull day to be out there....  too bad I missed out again.

Did you by any chance try any black/purple?  last year, I had great luck with black crawler harnesses with purple reflective tape on willow-leaf blades.  they didnt seem to want any of the other colors I tried when we were out last year.
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/05 23:30:52 (permalink)
    Yep, I tryed it for about an hour with no luck. I as well had good luck with black and purple last year and a little this year. What I tryed today was copper (of course), watermellon, black and purple in 2 different styles, mass confusion, and an orange set up I made. Copper won hands down today. I'll be going out of Elk again tommorrow afternoon with an arsenal of copper and blueberry muffin. Give me a hail on the radio if you are out. I'm always on 68, just call for the SSTAZ and I'll let you know how I'm doing
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/06 06:29:24 (permalink)
    Will do.   if the weather still holds out, and my boss is still willing to let me take off early I'm hoping to be out there today.
    tmccart388
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/07 20:57:25 (permalink)
    Mike and SSTAZ, I'm a weekend warrior only and have a hit 'n miss opportunity with waves and weather as I get motion sick pretty quik, too....but I fished a day each the last two weekends, although I only spent time out in 70+ feet of water west of walnut, I have been picking up fish on spoons only, no harnesses in the water, on watermelon, blue dolphin,orange crush, kevorkian.....mix 'n match between silver and copper backs...some home spun stuff, a blue 'n silver concoction with a sliver of pink tape and also good results on the rosemary's baby color. Hope it helps. I don't have a call name, maybe I'll think of one, but if the waves lay down this weeknd, maybe I'll holler for SSTAZ , see how're your doin'. TMcCart for now, I guess.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/07 21:39:35 (permalink)
    Motion sickness?  Theres a new product out there called Bonine.  It works great....I always carry it on my boat for anyone who may get motion sickness.  You can get it over the counter and it works much better than the Dramamine which makes you drowzy.  This stuff will not make you drowzy and it comes in chewable form.  You no longer will have to wory about the Erie roll, trust me!  Good Luck!

tmccart388
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/07 22:10:31 (permalink)
    Unfortuately, I take the Bonine, sip ginger ale, use wristbands on the wrist pressure points and I still get to pray to the porcelain god with 3-4 foot rollers and beyond, and I have discovered the best bite during these bouts of dry-heaving,tooFunny how that works.
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/07 22:59:44 (permalink)
    o
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Motion sickness?  Theres a new product out there called Bonine.  It works great....I always carry it on my boat for anyone who may get motion sickness.  You can get it over the counter and it works much better than the Dramamine which makes you drowzy.  This stuff will not make you drowzy and it comes in chewable form.  You no longer will have to wory about the Erie roll, trust me!  Good Luck!

Bonine has the same active ingredient as dramamine(the less drowsy formula)  and it it also in the same dosage, so whichever one is cheaper/easier to find will work the same.

Unfortunately for me all that medication does is knock me out after 9PM when I take it durring the day.. I still get just as sick just as fast.  Ginger does help a bit..  ginger ale, or pure crystalized ginger form the healthfood store seem to be two good ways to ingest it...  but again, it dosent do much. 

My best luck so far has been with the prescription motion sickness patch worn behind your ear.  They are supposed to be good for 3 days, so applying it friday afternoon will get you through the weekend.  They dont make me drowsy at all, and they do seem to give me anywhere from 1-3 extra hours on the water before I get sick...  but they dont work completely for me.   One problem with them is they do not stick well when they get wet, so if its a wet ride out, or if you plan to actually get in the water for some sort of activity, they wont work too well.  

when its a bit rough, but not too rough to go out, I'll usually head out on the bay for some tubing/skiiing/wakeboarding/kneeboarding...   as long as I'm cruising most of the time I dont get sick..  but when I have to stop for a while, that is when it starts...
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/08 00:16:05 (permalink)
        I'm glad the sea sickness doesnt affect me. I know it can make a person miserable. The one thing I have heard is looking at the horizon, but not having the problem I really dont know if it works.

Mike, did you make it out yesterday? I heard it was rough from most people so I didnt go. It's hard to steer a 15 foot boat in 3 footer's when trolling. Then I heard that it was calm from others. Wish I could get a straight answer from the marina's.

Tmc, anytime your out just hail me on the radio. If I'm out I'll let you know how I'm doing and where I'm at. I usaully launch at Elk or East ave and head out in the early afternoon. I am a weekend warrior my self but had this week off. I sometimes go out on a friends boat, but if I hear my name on the radio I'll answer
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/08 08:54:19 (permalink)
    I could have gone out...   but as you mentioned, I heard reports of 5+ feet offshore and a small craft advisory, and didnt doubt it  with as windy as it was while I was at work.    Hopefully there will nbe another couple nice days next week.
    mike1187
    New Angler
    RE: Heading out for Walleye 2007/09/08 23:40:27 (permalink)
    I decided to work on stuff around the house today because the forecast didnt look too promising, but by early evening, it seemed halfway decent as the air was dead calm at my house.   I didnt go out, but one of my fishing buddies took his boat out to 55 ft of water with his kids off of walnut creek and he said the water was flat...  he said he didnt see a wave more than 1ft.   They were only out for about 2 hours and came home with about 40 perch.  I guess they got quite wet when some storms went though, but the fishing was good, and the water didnt get rough at all when they were blowing through.

Looks like they are calling for similar weather tomorow... perhaps I'll see if I can head out for a couple hours to see what I can get.
    Jump to: