When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks

Author
WaxWorm
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/21 09:16:58 (permalink)

When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks

With the cool weather and rain and the fact it's almost September I am starting to get the itch for steel. I figured I would start this thread. It was the 2nd week in August and I just wanted to go for a ride. " I live in Millcreek " So I took a ride to Elk Creek to see what changes have taken place over the summer on the stream. It was a beautiful day 80 + degrees and I went to the legion hole and figured I would walk down stream some. Well To my surprise when I walked over to the legion hole and there were about 10-15 steelhead sitting in the hole. It was very low and very clear. I ran back to my truck and grabbed my pole and with some mikes white eggs and no weight I started throwing at them and caught 4 then walked down to the bridge that's out, and caught two more. It was a great day to be fishing in flip flops and shorts catching steel.

23 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 09:22:21 (permalink)
    They have been there all summer 

WaxWorm
    Avid Angler
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 09:41:18 (permalink)
    Not sure skip if they were there all summer. they were healthy and as silver as they get. It wasn't much longer after that the season was in full swing. I have caught trapped steel In July and they were really skinny and these fish were far from that. I could be wrong but it was a blast either way.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 09:45:26 (permalink)
    Wax Worm,
          Caught some the first of October once!  But then I don't live in Millcreek.  What's bad about the early fish is they come in during cold rains, but when it heats up again it stressed their systems and makes them taste even worse than normal.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 11:31:14 (permalink)
    They need a steelhead cam at Walnut so we can see the first one roll in and then fall upon the creeks like starving, crazed, wild animals.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    NorthCoast
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 12:49:01 (permalink)
    For everyones info, Waxworm goes by a few different names on this site. "Owned", "waxworm" are two that I'm POSITIVE of. Anything he puts on this board is straight up BS......
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 14:06:12 (permalink)
    That's ok.  Not much lately HASN'T been b.s.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 15:41:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

They have been there all summer 

I agree with Skip. And........There were a few up stream this past summer too.
    Chris

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 16:00:26 (permalink)
    I've caught them on Labor Day every year for about the past five years.  I never really tryed to catch em any earlier.  Last year was the best year I've had as far as early fish...  You can't beat double digit hookups on freakin' september 4th... 

I added pics of my first fish of the year from the past three labor days to my photo album, check em out if your bored/got the fever, lol.  http://forums.fishusa.com/albumphoto.asp?albumid=41&asortType=5&apage=2

BTW, I'd bet theres a few pokin around in the tribs right now, and you can take that to the bank ...

-Tim

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 17:15:38 (permalink)
    I was with a friend who caught one in July.  I would tend to agree there are a few around most of the time, but the first good run usually will be in late September or October depending on the rain and temperatures.  There will be fish in the streams before that, but if you come up looking for a ton of fish, you will be pretty disappointed.

As for me, I usually don't start fishing for the steelies until about mid-September.

On thing to keep in mind when fishing for steelies when the water is warm, don't play them too long.  They don't do well in warm water.

Good luck and may we have a banner season.

pax vobiscum +
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 21:39:53 (permalink)
    Tim,
    Hey, I haven't talked to you in a while...how are you doing?  Nice golden trout by the way.  Where did you get him at?  I dropped my phone in the stream last year so I lost your number.  Could you email me your phone number again so I can call you about some trips this fall? 

Thanks,
    Pat  
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 22:42:30 (permalink)
    Pat,

My cell phone took a swim also so I to have a new number, I'll send ya an email here shortly.

The golden came from the Loyalhanna near my place. 

-Tim
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 22:52:51 (permalink)
    remember when one of the reasons we went fishing was to get away from phones, not have them get away from you?  lmao     sam 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 23:02:08 (permalink)

mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/21 23:35:54 (permalink)
    I have caught small fesh chrome second week of August in the past. Also had catches 3rd and 4th week of August. It varies from year to year. A few years back I was fishing with my brother at the end of August and we found about 50 chromers in a lower section hole. Our plan was to look and decide bass or chrome. So we fished a few hours with 3 other guys and 1 of them didn't stay long because he had to go to work. Between all, 9 chromers caught before the sun came over the tree tops, 6 left on a rope. One week later quite a few unhappy angler came out looking for big numbers and only found the same few that made me happy. I'll be ****ed !!!
    2fish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/22 01:03:29 (permalink)
    A few years I was told that there were steelhead in the channel at the Nut the 2nd week in July. At first I was like most guys thinking yea right. Then I talked to Eggsac and had to make a run up for some night jiggin'. I was not disappointed. I landed 2 nice {not jacks} steelies and a major bonus, a 27" 7.5lb. walleye off the wall. Imagine my surprise when I reached down to lip the fish then saw it's EYE's glowing in my headlamp. Nearly 20 yrs. of steelie fishing and I finally caught a fish WORTHY of taking home to eat. I then began the weekly trip up until the creeks froze up {briefly} and was only skunked once. Gotta love the La Nina summer and El Nina winters = more time and opportunities on the tribs. +++
    Steve
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/22 08:56:26 (permalink)
    thanks, very nice clips,for some reason I couldn't get the sound.  sam
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/22 21:33:09 (permalink)
    Fishrmn is defintiley right, there already showing up at times. I landed one adult recently and watched a gentleman land a few jacks.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/22 22:58:49 (permalink)
    Caught one this evening just before dark.  Messin around with spoons..then WHAMO!!!!!!!!

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/22 23:28:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

thanks, very nice clips,for some reason I couldn't get the sound.  sam

Not much sound unless your into waves hitting the shore!

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/23 11:53:06 (permalink)
    Thats why you dont eat them in the first place, CATCH AND RELEASE!

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/23 12:45:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Grendel

Caught one this evening just before dark.  Messin around with spoons..then WHAMO!!!!!!!!

Doc

lYer
    stream pike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/23 14:53:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Grendel

Doc

Tried to get a steely also last night. the lake was flat all day then around 5 a ne wind blew in and mucked up the water. so I threw spoons at walnut and elk without any luck. one good thing, I never saw another angler at either place, no fish either LOL. still alittle to warm.
    WaxWorm
    Avid Angler
    RE: When was the earliest you caught steel in the creeks 2007/08/24 09:25:36 (permalink)
    This is from the WCO report page.  BS huh? Go away Troll you bore me after years of wondering if you will ever get a life?

Steelhead?

Steelhead are being picked up off shore and evidence of "staging" is apparent in 40 to 50 feet of water. There have been a few unconfirmed reports of steelhead being caught off the wall at Walnut Creek at night. Air and water temperatures are too warm at this time to support any real activity. However, with a few cool nights and a little more rain, it won't be long. Current tributary conditions are high and muddy due to several days of steady rain fall.

Jump to: