steelhead rod too short?

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/10 12:12:05 (permalink)

steelhead rod too short?

me again needing input.  i have an 8.5 med.-lt. fish eagle steelhead rod.  not sure why i bought it 10 years ago but i never used it.  it this rod too short for drifting spawn or a float and jig?  it weighs a lot less than my 11.5 kunnan noodle rod.  sometime as the season progresses, i will purchase a 10.5 noodle rod, but in the meantime, this rod feels real good.  just worried about the length for bait.

27 Replies Related Threads

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 12:27:15 (permalink)
    that rods plenty long enough for bait and jig fishing. Ive used 4 1/2 foot ul rods before. tough to fight the fish but thats always a fun challenge.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 12:30:28 (permalink)
       I've taken a 4-1/2' rod up on those there cricks & had a blast. Depends on what you like I guess.

Crappy
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 13:05:08 (permalink)
    Is.
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 18:54:53
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 13:16:36 (permalink)
    You can land steelies on pretty much any rod if you have a good reel with a good drag, quality line, room to play the fish and patience.  One thing to consider when fishing for steelies with short ultralight rods is that you may have to play the fish quite a bit longer than you would if you had a longer rod.  Also, the longer rods will usually protect your leader better and allow you to keep more pressure on the fish.  I have landed steelies on a wide variety of rods over the years, but have found I like a 9' light weight spinning rod.  You don't have to spend a ton of money to buy a reasonable rod.  Most of the local tackle shops sell them and usually have good deals.

Have fun with whatever you use.

pax vobiscum +
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 21:11:10 (permalink)
    Rapala11
        Don't worry about the length of the rod.  It's all about presentation.  I used a 7" rod for years and I finally broke down and bought 2 noodles,  I still use the 7' quite a bit when I need to get in some tight stuff or in close to a riffle.
         Ideally we should be allowed rod caddies; like in golf  That way when we come across a certain type of water we could just say:  This looks like a medium depth broken riffle about 27 feet out, I think I'll use my 7.5 foot medium-heavy Ugly stick and a 1/8 oz chartuse KO wobler. and the caddie would just hand it to you. 
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/08/10 21:14:34

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 21:23:14 (permalink)
    That's plenty long enough.   If I was going to do allot of steelhead fishing I'd get a longer rod, but that's just the type of fishing I like to do, the longer rod is more versatile in different situations.  8' 6" is fine for most situations.   

You'll want to match the line weight to the rod though.  I'm not familiar with the rod you have, but I have a feeling it may be a faster action steelhead rod made for line in the 8 to 12lb test range. Which is fine, with the quality leader material made now there usually isn't any need to go lighter than 8lb test.  Anyway, my point is, if it's a stiffer action rod it may not protect lighter line like 6 or 4lb test that many guys like to use.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2007/08/10 21:24:21
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 21:57:34 (permalink)
    I've caught em on a 4 foot 6 ultralite.  I think line diameter, color, and bait presentation is more important than rod length.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 22:06:59 (permalink)
    the rod is a quality rod built by cabelas in the usa until the turn of the century (man, that sounds old).  it is rated for 6-10 pound test.  it is either a med-light or a softer medium which will allow me to use the lightest line possible and a loose drag.  although not the ideal rod to drift bait, i will allow me to cast small spinners in the early season.  inds, you make me laugh, but your words are good.......we do need a caddy (golf bag?) to carry different rods.  prior to us moving, i gave away some more tackle.  upon finishing our move, i counted my rods.  i still have 28 combos, not including ice fishing gear.  guess i need 3 of everything.  this is my only remaining vice in life.....well, maybe turkey hunting too.....well, i have never trapped, so i am going to try to trap mink this year before i get much older.  life is good.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/10 22:18:45 (permalink)
      "fishin' sherpa".
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 18:55:17
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 00:44:37 (permalink)
    Noodles it so much more fun.  I buy the cheap  stuff 30 dollars last a good while and the fight is great.  I used to use a short rod but once i used the noodle im hooked..
    smallmouth76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 12:02:56 (permalink)
    I use a fish eagle2 8.6 med action for bait and jigs, i love the thing. I use ugly light 7 for spoon chucking.
    walnutter1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 12:48:56 (permalink)
    Let me change the direction here a minute.  How will a 6wt. 8'6" moderate action fly rod do for me this fall. Is that long and strong enough for steelhead duty?  I spend 75% of my time on Walnut so I don't think length is really the issue for drifting. Any thoughts from the experts?
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 13:09:55 (permalink)
    walnutter,
          Yep, you can catch them on a 6 wt but you will have to be prepared to play the fish for a while.  I have taken them on a 5wt.  Bughawk caught three on a 5 wt bamboo rod.  You just won't be able to hoist them or put much pressure on.  I'd stay away from any place where there are a lot of people, to avoid line tangling.  But I think most people would recommend at least a 7 wt or bigger.  Sort of also depends on your skill level.  I have even seen one gentleman who caught at least 1 on a 4wt. (I netted it for him) but that was in slow water.  Aw, what the heck;  Go for it!  Let us know how it goes.

walnutter1
    New Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 13:21:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Inds. 
    That looks like just enough of an opening to justify buying another fly rod.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 13:24:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: walnutter1

Thanks Inds. 
    That looks like just enough of an opening to justify buying another fly rod.

As if we need an excuse  LOL

My suggestion would be a 9' 7 wt  Seems to work great as an all around rod though I have caught my share on a 5 wt and even a 3'3" Micro Rod  but I would never try that again  LOL

walnutter1
    New Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 13:30:09 (permalink)
    Sounds good.  I'll start looking.  Any other thoughts would be great.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 16:59:57 (permalink)
    One cannot have too many fishing rods, bows, guns or knives....  If you are a good fisherman, you could land a steelie on a piece of string tied to a tree branch.  The issue is what do you like to fish with, feel comfortable with and what you will enjoy.  Steelies are large and powerful fish, but if you know your equipment and how to play a fish, you will do fine with whatever you have.  Personally, I decide on the way to stream what I will be fishing with that day.  I keep a drift rod and reel, fly rod and reel and noodle rod and reel in the vehicle at all times.  The water conditions, phase of the moon and what I want to fish with that day determines which one I will use.  Bottom line, use whatever works for you and have a good time.

pax vobiscum +
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 17:18:19 (permalink)
    walnutter 1
          Pay close attention to what Bughawk tells you.  He is like the chief Jedi of gear.  I'm even afraid to touch some of his rods and reels.  But, the man can outfish me three to one on a bad day.  My attitude is: if it's cheap, I'll buy two, break one and then I'll know the capabilities of the gear.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 19:13:11 (permalink)
    bug, a bamboo?  i am afraid to get near one.  also, enough guns?  i complained to my wife that i needed a new turkey gun all winter.  said the bps in shadowgrass camo that i was going to use was all wrong.  almost had her talked into it.  i then proceeded to shoot two big toms this spring with it.  in the process, i also  shot my need in the foot.  guess i am going to be shooting "fluffy" for awhile. (i gave the gun this sissy name when i was looking at new, and the name stuck),    have started whining and begging about a new, lighter noodle rod.  she points to my racks of rods but i tell her they are all wrong.  i have her almost convinced.  have to buy before the run begins or i may shoot myself again.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 20:26:10 (permalink)
    Yep, bamboo.  Landed three steelies.  The third one was too much and crushed the mid-section.  Kinda ruined the day, but what the heck.  How many people do you know who have fished for steelies with an antique bamboo rod, let alone land three?  It was fun while it lasted.  I did get the rod repaired, but was told not to use it for steelies anymore....

As for being the gear jedi... that is not really all that true.  I have a few rods and reels.  There are others out there that have way more equipment than I have, and way better as well.

One approach for the wife is to speak her language.  How many pairs of shoes or dresses, or handbags does she have?  OF Course this may not work out well if you are not careful, but it may help her better understand the need for a new gun or rod. 

There is another approach.  A buddy of mine got "clipped" if you know what I mean a couple of years ago.  On the way home from the hospital, his wife was feeling sorry for him, so she let him stop off at the Dicks Sporting Store.  He was in too much pain and shock his wife actually encouraged him to go, he fumbled and ended up with only a new pair of hunting boots.  Later he reflected on the event and was sure he could have gotten a new shotgun out of the deal.... This only works once, but if you have a plan in place, you might make out big time....

Good luck...

pax vobiscum +
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 21:04:42 (permalink)
    bug, ain't gonna work here.  she buys so little for herself.  far too practical for today's society.  she does spoil our little girl, but in that same vein, so do i.  in leiu of a birthday gift, i gave her money.  she spent it on our daughter.  but she goes along with my needs, as long as i bring fish or game home.  in an earlier post, i questioned if it was acceptable to keep a fish or two for the smoker.  this was for her.  she absolutely loves smoked trout and salmon.  moose is her favorite red meat, but i haven't been able to work her for a new rifle and a trip north.  will settle for another noodle rod this fall.  this is the last one, i promise.  that is unless i need a 7wt sage for steel and smallies.
    walnutter1
    New Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 21:23:39 (permalink)
    I know a guy who got it done 3 times and 2 more kids later.  How's that.  But anyway, I cut my teeth last year with a noodle rod so my story will be that I need the fly rod so my 13 year old can start going with me with and use the noodle.  I hope it works.  Can't deny the kid, right?

Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/11 21:50:52 (permalink)
    My My what scheming. Reminds me of the days I used to leave the house with a cleaning rod and rags in the gun case to make it look full and come home with a new gun.  She got wise when she dusted the gun cabinet and it kept mutitplying.  The older you get the more you have to confess.  I have it pretty good-I got my pontoon boat this year. 

Luke 9:23
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/12 15:21:53 (permalink)
    Well, there is always the "it is good for the economy" excuse.  If people did not buy all the new guns, rods, reels, bows, etc... there would be a serious depression.  So if we want to be good Americans, we need to support the economy and that means buying more guns, rods, reels, bows, etc....

As for noodle rods, you can pick one up for about $30 to $50 at most of the local tackle shops.  I have a 9' Cortland rod I bought several years ago at Poor Richards that works fine for steelies and I don't recall it costing all that much. 

pax vobiscum +
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/12 15:28:48 (permalink)
    bug, we stopped in pr's last sat. for the first time.  love those small, independent shops.  they told me they will be better stocked as the season approaches so i will pick up my rod there.   do you like the cortland rod and do you use it much?  is it a noodle rod?   what is the weight like?.  had been looking at the st. croix wild river series.  like the longer foregrip on them as well as the shorter butt, but i can see where i would loose leverage on a hard running fish.  again, i have two steelhead rods, but was looking for something in-between in lenght. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/12 15:51:11 (permalink)
    I have two 9' spinning rods I use for steelies.  The Cortland is a CTR 1000 - Lure weight 1/16 to 1/4 oz, line weight 2-10 lb.  I have had the rod for about 4 or 5 years and it has performed well.  It is not a high end rod, but it will get the job done.  The other rod is a Fenwick HMXS  90L-28.  It is bit lighter weight - lure weight 1/16 to 3/8 oz and line weight 2 to 8 lb.  It has a lot more cork above the reel seat and I have used it with both a spinning reel and centerpin reel.  I actually bought it for the centerpin where I would be fishing the smaller water.  I really like this rod, especially paired with my Okuma Stratus reel.  I may fish it this year with a Shimano Stradic.

pax vobiscum +
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: steelhead rod too short? 2007/08/12 20:10:27 (permalink)
    I've used my 6'6" bunches of times on the creeks and had a blast.
    Jump to: