stream etiquete

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/08 12:20:51 (permalink)

stream etiquete

guess i am heading to some crowded streams this fall.  don't want to offend someone, and i don't feel the compulsion to compete when fishing.  any ideas on manners when fishing?  also, is it okay to keep a fish?  when bass fishing, i release all the time, but i do like smoked trout.  i don't mean keeping limits, as one fish is all that i would need.

13 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 12:44:33 (permalink)
    Rapala,

Just show folks the same cuteousy that you would expect, but don't always expect the same in return. Due to the crowded nature of the tribs, fishing in close proximity to another has become a much more acceptable, or at least common practice. A little patience ( they're still just fish ), will make your day far more enjoyable.

It is OK to keep your legal limit if you chose. The fishery is far from endangered by over harvest. Ignore any looks, or comments, you are within your rights, and causing no harm to the fishery.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 12:46:26 (permalink)
    dont worry alot of them will offend and compete with you rather freely

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 12:50:04 (permalink)
    just keep males is what i was also told if i was going to keep something. ill keep a female in dec/jan for some eggs once in a while. Rapalla even if you try to be the perfect sportmans .... there still gonna be a few jagoffs that dont care but dont let them ruin your time fishing. there will be plenty of holes to fish and lots of fish to catch. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 13:46:29 (permalink)
    Try to avoid the weekends like the plague. Walk, walk, then walk some more....you'll find fish and won't have to worry about combat fishing, Good luck....
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 14:23:24 (permalink)
    life can be hard, but fishing should not be.  i really enjoy being out.  just don't want to mess someone else's day because i was inconsiderate.  thanks for the advice.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 14:44:38 (permalink)
    Show the same respect u would want on the creeks...   I f u tangle with a fellow angler be calm i know it could be a pain but were all there for a reason to catch fish and to have a great time..
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 15:34:38 (permalink)
    ditto to what the others have said.  due to my job, i rarely get to erie on a saturday or sunday.  usually get there on a wednesday or friday.  late september and most of october will be a mad house at the easy access points even during the week.  on weekdays by late november, december & march (and january & february when the streams are fishable), i've found that even the popular holes aren't too bad.  if you're looking for solitude, park at an access & take a walk.  wear your polarized glasses and look at fast & skinny water.  might not be as many fish in those spots as the deeper holes, but you're likely to be the only one casting to them. 

also, when the reports say that the water is unfishable (due to high levels, lack of clarity, etc.) if you do a little homework and think logically you'll find some active fish and likely not too many other guys around. 
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/08 15:45:23 (permalink)
    Amen... Said well
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/09 01:19:44 (permalink)
    thanks guys
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/12 09:26:52 (permalink)
    when i see more people on the the streams; that's when my fun starts lol, it like watching real people i have fun talking and shooting the bull that's fun . meet many people up there .from all over the place . and the most of all i like to show the green horns how to catch fish [dream on]
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/12 15:31:26 (permalink)
    Treat others as you want them to treat you.  Easy rule of thumb.  I usually don't mind fishing with people.  Sometimes you learn a few things and trade a fly or two.  Enjoy the streams.

pax vobiscum +
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/12 16:26:25 (permalink)
    i like the comraderie when fishing.  have met a lot of really good people over the years who are willing teachers.  guess i like people in general.  don't mind crowds for the most part, just don't want to mess anyone up. 
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: stream etiquete 2007/08/13 19:23:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk  Easy rule of thumb. 

Does this mean that I can beat the people around me with something as long as that something is smaller in diameter than my thumb?  From what I have seen, this could improve the combat fishing areas dramatically.

Rapala,

The best advise I can give you is don't expect anyone to display stream ettiquette and you won't be disappointed.  It seems that for every great person that I meet on the stream there is a VW bus full of ****holes to erase any thoughts that I have that there are some decent folks out there.  People loose their minds and grip on human decency when they see "regular" trout, let alone 5+ pound trout.  Avoid weekends and walk away from the easy access points and things get better, but still not great.

The NY tribs are not as bad for crowding, but the folks are even less friendly across the boarder.

Enjoy.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    Jump to: