Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing.

Author
Presquisleanglr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/07 22:17:18 (permalink)

Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing.

I have followed the dynamics of this discussion board for quite some time now. I was sick at home and couldn't get out fishing so I posted a sharp tongue opinionated post knowing I would get some rebuttal from the heavy hitters (spoonchucker 3604 post, silverkype 2430 post, t.t. 2044 post, stillhead 2013 and throw the commander in for a mere 168) and their replies I truly enjoyed, I am always up for a battle of verbal wit but I never expected the verbal cannibalism that followed. I have fished with a lot of muppears and enjoy every one of them, did I mention that I love to fish, I will fish with any angler that doesn't throw cigarette butts or garbage on a creek bank or sink a beer can in Lake Erie, I will go out of my way to show a dad with young kids where he can have a great day fishing with his sons and daughters or an old timer who just wants to catch one more. At this time I would like to throw in with the heavy hitters if they're willing and make this a question and answer board for anyone who has any questions about any type of fishing, between myself and the above mentioned there has to be at least 300 years of fishing wisdom, I will cover the east side to the New York line and I'm sure the rest can cover the west side to the Ohio line.
First question ;  How much leader do you run behind a dipsy for steelhead and how much leader do you run for walleye?
Second question;  how much line do you run behind a cannon ball for kings?

20 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/07 22:34:36 (permalink)
    1st)   I run the same length leader for both, about 6 foot more or less, as long as I can reach the fish with the net.

2nd) Here's my "bit" of wisdom. Never set anything in stone. My lead length for Kings varies usually dependent on depth of water (the deeper the water, the shorter the lead). It can also depend on the mood of the fish, sometimes they like it real close. Sometimes it depends on MY mood. Wise? No, but hey I'm human. At any rate anywhere from 25-40 ft. maybe a little shorter, or longer, but most time in that range.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/07 23:12:33 (permalink)
    THANKS SPOONS, I RUN DEEP ALL SUMMER OF THE POINT 80.12-42.20 OR 470-896 THERE IS A POINT OUT THERE THAT IS STACKED ALL SUMMER A BIT OF A RUN. I'LL RUN 9FT OF A DIPSY FOR EYE'S AND LIKE YOU SAID STEEL IS A PERSONNEL THING BUT 2-3 FT. WORKS GREAT BEHIND A DIPSY OUT DEEP IF I'M JUST AFTER SILVER.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/07 23:34:11 (permalink)
    I'm certainly not one of the big hitters, but I am passionate about fishing and thats why I'm here.  I could care less about the bashing that goes on in here anymore, but when something of concrete substance is written, I'll chime in when I feel I can from now on and do my best to ignore ignorant comments.  Presquisleanglr I appreciate the things you had to say there.

I don't specifically fish for steelies out in the lake, but I do for walleye and my lead of preference behind a dipsy is no less that 4' no more than 6'.

Question:  If you're running small dipsys off of big boards;  when a line realeases and you want to return it back out on the board and you have dipsy lines straight out the side set at 3.5...how do you let the board dipsy out without it getting tangled up in the side dipsy rod?  Thanks.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/08/07 23:35:03

slimyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 01:41:02 (permalink)
    fisher501 says,"I feel I can from now on and do my best to ignore ignorant comments."

His therapy is going great. 
    slimyfish
    New Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 01:48:46 (permalink)
    The new more confident                               The old, sensitive
                                                                            Fisher 501
    Shutupnfish
    slimyfish
    New Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 01:57:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Presquisleanglr

I have followed the dynamics of this discussion board for quite some time now. I was sick at home and couldn't get out fishing so I posted a sharp tongue opinionated post knowing I would get some rebuttal from the heavy hitters (spoonchucker 3604 post, silverkype 2430 post, t.t. 2044 post, stillhead 2013 and throw the commander in for a mere 168) and their replies I truly enjoyed, I am always up for a battle of verbal wit but I never expected the verbal cannibalism that followed. I have fished with a lot of muppears and enjoy every one of them, did I mention that I love to fish, I will fish with any angler that doesn't throw cigarette butts or garbage on a creek bank or sink a beer can in Lake Erie, I will go out of my way to show a dad with young kids where he can have a great day fishing with his sons and daughters or an old timer who just wants to catch one more. At this time I would like to throw in with the heavy hitters if they're willing and make this a question and answer board for anyone who has any questions about any type of fishing, between myself and the above mentioned there has to be at least 300 years of fishing wisdom, I will cover the east side to the New York line and I'm sure the rest can cover the west side to the Ohio line.
    First question ;  How much leader do you run behind a dipsy for steelhead and how much leader do you run for walleye?
    Second question;  how much line do you run behind a cannon ball for kings?

You are truly spineless but, the butkisses give me that warm..........

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 08:35:55 (permalink)
    SHUTUPNFISH
     CAN'T HELP NEVER RUN SMALL DIPSY OFF BOARDS, IN CONJUNCTION WITH BIG DIPSY ALONG SIDE.I'LL EMAIL THE OLDEST CHARTER ON THE LAKE TIM SMALL AND SEE IF HE'S GOT A GOOD FIX.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 09:40:15 (permalink)
    The big dipsy is running way deeper than the board dipsy.  If the 3.5 big dipsy is set at 150 and the board dipsy is 150 back there's no problem. The board dipsy runs  shallower and will never catch the 3.5.  No worries.  These last two years have been out of the ordinary for being able to stack up piles of fish without running boards.  Once this herd thins a bit it'll be back to board fishing.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 10:52:42 (permalink)
    You can run 15 rods off your boat is not really an accomplishment.  However if you can get 15rods down and get them all catching fish, now you are talking about loading up the boat....

In most cases none of us need to run 10+rods seeing how we rarely see more than 4 or 5 passengers on our boats.  Charters with larger boats are able to run more rods simply based on boat size and beam.  If you spread out 12 rods over an 8'6'' beam with downriggers, big dipsys, and boards, you are almost asking for trouble...especially if a big steelie hits...Now if you spread them over 10-12ft beam you are giving yourself a little more room...

In most cases we all can get the job done without even using boards.  Running 4-6 dipsys off of your boat is almost effortless, and in my experience in the weeks past you really have a hard time just keeping up with those rods...

Personally when (and i mean when) i run boards i am usually focused in on fish suspended over shallower water.  Once you get over 50ft i dont think they give you all that much of an advantage other than just getting more rods out.  I often see two guys fishing with planer boards out both sides and wonder, why they would even go through the trouble?.....

If you get 4-6 dipsys rods hitting you can fill the cooler rather quickly...Even with 5-6 guys....Its a numbers game though...if the boards pull 3 or 4 fish before you can clean up on your big dipsys then that is 3 or 4 you didnt have yet.....And the day gets shorter and the charters burn less gas...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 12:11:11 (permalink)
    If you run small dipsy's off your planer boards run them all on the same setting weather it be 0,1,2,3. Very rarely tangle them. I run planer boards everytime weather permits, they more times then not out fish dipsy's close to the boat. Especially water inside 50 feet 
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 12:24:16 (permalink)
    Best King set up this year is the Old Yeller Mag on the deepest rigger a mere 5 to 8 feet behind the ball, when kings are higher = run longer leads, if deeper, shorter, if its rough, run shorter leads, if its calm, run longer ones, kings are screwy. 

Oh yeah, if running Spin Docs and flies on riggers, it is a good idea to keep them at least 20' off the ball.

I'm with 'chucker on leads off divys.
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 18:40:13 (permalink)
    WHEN STACKING RODS ON A DOWN RIGGER DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON THE LENGTH OF LINE ON THE LOWER ROD? IS SHORTER BETTER? DOES ANYONE USE ROAMER RELEASES ANY MORE?
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 20:51:47 (permalink)
    I with up in Ontario with Capt.Pete Alex and he had some slick downrigger set ups, we landed alot of fish on downriggers. He fishes all the major tournaments up there and I learned a great amount just fishing with him for two days. Get some of the Dreamweaver DW's before you head up the Blue,Green,and custom(Black) Alewife's were smoking them better then anything else he used. The Kings were loaded with Alewifes. Was a great experience, one of best times I ever had fishing. Andy next time I launch at East I'll stop over, check out some blacks releases they work great
    post edited by Deerslayir - 2007/08/08 20:52:46
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 21:23:23 (permalink)
    Is there a limit on how mant rods 2 guys run??????? Wouldn't know by some of the boats I pass! LOL!

I run 4-6' behind my dipsy's for both and 3'-30' off the riggers depending on what the fish want. I wouldn't always plan on doing the same thing we make changes often to find whats working best.
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/08 22:50:41 (permalink)
    8-10-12LB CANNON BALLS OR FISH, IS THERE ANY SPECIFIC WEIGHT FOR ANY SPECIFIC SPEED OR WATER CONDITION?  WHATS THE BEST ALL AROUND WEIGHT
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/09 00:45:53 (permalink)
    fshinng duzzant mayke yu hav wizdum
    itts maykes yu dum
    thets wy yu ar dum
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/09 08:05:58 (permalink)
    My opinion is 10lb. most of the time. I have fish and balls dont really notice any difference. I have green fish, black fish and cannonballs are black, I also have an old banana weight thats yeloow I catch fish equally on all of them. I've used them for cheaters in place of one of my rods with a 3-4' leader and caught fish on all of them.
    Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/09 08:10:20 (permalink)
    Never saw an english class I couldn't skip and go fishing.

ORIGINAL: youngguru

fshinng duzzant mayke yu hav wizdum
    itts maykes yu dum
    thets wy yu ar dum

Luke 9:23
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/16 15:36:12 (permalink)
    8 & 10lbers are great for erie.   

When I start to target slimers out deep in Erie, I generally pick up my trolling speed to about 2.5-3.5 mph sog.  The 8 & 10's have a LOT of swingback when you pick up speed.

On the Big Lake for Kings 12# are on all riggers.  There are some wicked currents up there.

one more thing.... SPEED KILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: Knowledge comes from books; Wisdom comes from years of fishing. 2007/08/16 21:50:03 (permalink)
    No book knowledge here except for the books with pictures!
    Jump to: