proper way to use marine radio?

Author
jimmyt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/25 21:23:05 (permalink)

proper way to use marine radio?

Never fished the lake before, put a vhf radio in the boat, not sure the correct channel to use to communicate to other boats and the correct way to do it, looking for some advice please.

20 Replies Related Threads

FiveDog
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/25 21:36:37 (permalink)
    Ch 68 and push the thumb button
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/25 21:49:56 (permalink)
    Marine Radio Could be a Lifesaver

Why Should You Have A Marine Radio On Your Boat?  You are sailing to the farthest reaches of an isolated bay when you strike an unchartered, submerged object. You begin taking on water. No one is around. If you had a radio, you could call for help.

Motoring along the river, one of your passengers begins convulsions. You know you must contact medical authorities immediately, but you are without a radio. With a radio, medical help might be only a radio call away. Without one, it may be hours before you are able to get to a medical facility.

What Type Of Radio Should I Buy?
    Investing in a good Very High Frequency FM (VHF FM) radio is the 
    smartest purchase. A VHF radio has certain advantages such as:

* Good quality transmission.
         * Strong signal.
         * Channels reserved for distress calls.
         * Continuously monitored frequencies.

Citizen Band (CB) radios are not recommended due to weak signals and overcrowded frequencies. In addition, the Coast Guard does not routinely monitor CB Channels.

Can I Use the Radio as a Telephone?
    There is a marine operator in many areas, located on a specified channel, that will "patch" you into the local telephone system. A radio is not to be used for gossip or idle conversation. The use of profanity and obscene language is illegal. One difference between a telephone and a radio is that anything said over the radio will be heard by hundreds of other people. Another difference is that there are only a limited number of channels so conversation, should be kept to passing only required information. Conversation is not permitted to extend past three minutes.

What Are the Different Channels Used For?
    There are 104 VHF channels designated for marine service. Of this number, 54 are designated exclusively for use in the waters of the United States. The most common channels and their purpose are listed below:

Channel 16 (156.8 MHz) This is the most important channel on the VHF band. THIS IS THE DISTRESS, SAFETY, AND CALLING FREQUENCY WHICH THE COAST GUARD MONITORS CONTINUOUSLY. All vessels equipped with VHF radios must keep their radios tuned to channel 16 so they can assist if an emergency is near. Vessels may initiate contact with each other but must shift to a working frequency to carry on a conversation (e.g., Motor vessel Albatross, this is sailing vessel Mother Goose, AB-1234, on Channel 16, switch and answer Channel 68). Use Channel 16 for only bona fide emergencies.

Channel 22A (157.1 MHz) This channel is the primary working channel of the Coast Guard. It is used for communications between the Coast Guard and the maritime public, both recreational and commercial. Severe weather warnings, hazards to navigation, and other maritime safety warnings are broadcast on Channel 22A.

Channel 13 (156.65 MHz) This channel is the bridge to bridge or "piloting" channel, used for communicating navigation information between ships. Strictly used for navigational purposes by commercial, military, and recreational vessels at locks, bridges and harbors.

Channel 6 (156.3 MHz)This channel is the ship to ship frequency used for safety related communications. This channel is not used for ordinary operational navigation or personal communications.

What Do Certain Words I Hear on the Radio Mean?

MAYDAY is a request for immediate assistance. LISTEN! DO NOT TRANSMIT!! Determine if you're in a position to help. If not, maintain radio silence. "MAYDAY" identifies an imminent, life-threatening emergency.

PAN-PAN (pronounced pahn-pahn) is used when the safety of a boat or  person is in jeopardy. Man-overboard messages are sent with the PAN-PAN signal.

SECURITE (pronounced say-cure-e-tay) is used to pass navigation information or weather warnings.

What if I Hear Someone Saying MAYDAY on Channel 16?
    If you have a radio and you are under way, you are required to monitor Channel 16. MAYDAY takes precedence over all other transmissions. If you hear a MAYDAY, remain silent and listen. Take down the information being passed. If the Coast Guard or other rescue authority responds, maintain silence and listen, but do not respond. 

However, if there is no response, take action. Try raising the distressed vessel over the radio. Gather more information, especially the position. Attempt to raise the Coast Guard while traveling toward the vessel. Sometimes the Coast Guard may not hear the distressed vessels transmissions, but can hear another vessel near the scene; therefore, call the Coast Guard again, just in case. If you raise them, give them the information you have and follow their instructions. If you cannot contact the Coast Guard, attempt to assist the other vessel to the best of your ability without placing yourself in danger.

What If I Need Help?
    If you have an imminent life threatening emergency, transmit on Channel 16:

1. MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY!
         2. This is (name of boat three times, call letters once).
         3. Repeat once more, "MAYDAY", (your boat's name).
         4. Now report your position (give as accurate a position as
             possible).
         5. Report nature of emergency.
         6. Report the kind of assistance desired.
         7. Report number of people on board and condition of any injured.
         8. Description of the boat and seaworthiness.

Then wait for a response. If there is none, repeat the message.

Do I Need A Radio License or Operator's Permit?
    You must have a SHIP STATION LICENSE for your radio before operation. An OPERATOR'S PERMIT is only required if you dock in a foreign port. To obtain forms and additional information contact the FCC at (202) 418-3676(FORM).

Note: The 1996 telecommunications act states that "voluntary" (recreational) vessels need not have a ship station license in order to use a VHF radio.

Transmission of a false (hoax) distress or emergency message or using obscene or profane language is illegal. If search and rescue units are sent out, the perpetrator is responsible for their costs in addition to the fine.

(This article was reprinted in whole from the US Coast Guard boating website at <http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/radio.htm#top> )
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 09:05:35 (permalink)
    I must say Marty, you are the Google king!  :-)  Always posting good info.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 09:53:59 (permalink)
    Ya, if Marty can,t help you , nobody can. Nice job Marty.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 19:23:54 (permalink)
    Thanks 
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 21:00:22 (permalink)
    great post
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 21:37:36 (permalink)
      That's a big 10-4 is a no no.  Marty how do I post a bouncy thingy??
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 23:10:13 (permalink)

Search for smiley bouncy on photobucket.
    Put the URL Link in the add image icon(picture with mountain above where you write)
    OR: right click on one of these and coppy- properties into the add image icon

I am allowed out to play again.
    Should have my Checkmate out next week.

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/07/27 23:18:05
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 23:18:25 (permalink)
        . Maybe when u r aloud out u can show me how 2 post some fish the kids caught on here??

lEtT mE nO O/k?
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 23:21:18 (permalink)
    Post the link or pm me and I will post them for you.
    After you do it once it is verry easy.
    Can you email pics?
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/27 23:27:45 (permalink)
      I'll ask the kids if they can. I bought one of those card readers, should that help ??

Be cattin all night tomarrow. Should get some nice shots of mr. wiskers.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 00:08:30 (permalink)
    That is all you need.
    Faststone is a free photo editing program that is very easy to use.
    Resize the pics to around 600 by whatever then upload them to a site like photobucket or the photo section on this site.
    yungguru
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 11:43:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty
    hoWwed yu du thet phAgmary/

Search for smiley bouncy on photobucket.
    Put the URL Link in the add image icon(picture with mountain above where you write)
    OR: right click on one of these and coppy- properties into the add image icon

I am allowed out to play again.
    Should have my Checkmate out next week.

wats a chekmate duud/

yur bote/

crApfisher wer ar yu fshing forr cattfsh duud/

yungguru
    Avid Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 11:48:09 (permalink)
    [sm=****.gif]i no howw too do itt
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 11:54:21 (permalink)
    yungguru
    Avid Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 12:03:13 (permalink)
    smal bote duud

itts bigar thann  spoonsukars enyway
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 12:23:55 (permalink)
    Yep sMal-onli 22 feets
    wil go 80 though
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/28 13:22:54 (permalink)
     YG,

Plum Boro/Barking. PM me if u wanna go o/K? I'll bring the bait & marshmellows. Gotta check the radar around 6 pm.

Thanks Marty
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/29 11:23:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Marine Radio Could be a Lifesaver

Why Should You Have A Marine Radio On Your Boat?  You are sailing to the farthest reaches of an isolated bay when you strike an unchartered, submerged object. You begin taking on water. No one is around. If you had a radio, you could call for help.

Motoring along the river, one of your passengers begins convulsions. You know you must contact medical authorities immediately, but you are without a radio. With a radio, medical help might be only a radio call away. Without one, it may be hours before you are able to get to a medical facility.

What Type Of Radio Should I Buy?
    Investing in a good Very High Frequency FM (VHF FM) radio is the 
    smartest purchase. A VHF radio has certain advantages such as:

* Good quality transmission.
         * Strong signal.
         * Channels reserved for distress calls.
         * Continuously monitored frequencies.

Citizen Band (CB) radios are not recommended due to weak signals and overcrowded frequencies. In addition, the Coast Guard does not routinely monitor CB Channels.

Can I Use the Radio as a Telephone?
    There is a marine operator in many areas, located on a specified channel, that will "patch" you into the local telephone system. A radio is not to be used for gossip or idle conversation. The use of profanity and obscene language is illegal. One difference between a telephone and a radio is that anything said over the radio will be heard by hundreds of other people. Another difference is that there are only a limited number of channels so conversation, should be kept to passing only required information. Conversation is not permitted to extend past three minutes.

What Are the Different Channels Used For?
    There are 104 VHF channels designated for marine service. Of this number, 54 are designated exclusively for use in the waters of the United States. The most common channels and their purpose are listed below:

Channel 16 (156.8 MHz) This is the most important channel on the VHF band. THIS IS THE DISTRESS, SAFETY, AND CALLING FREQUENCY WHICH THE COAST GUARD MONITORS CONTINUOUSLY. All vessels equipped with VHF radios must keep their radios tuned to channel 16 so they can assist if an emergency is near. Vessels may initiate contact with each other but must shift to a working frequency to carry on a conversation (e.g., Motor vessel Albatross, this is sailing vessel Mother Goose, AB-1234, on Channel 16, switch and answer Channel 68). Use Channel 16 for only bona fide emergencies.

Channel 22A (157.1 MHz) This channel is the primary working channel of the Coast Guard. It is used for communications between the Coast Guard and the maritime public, both recreational and commercial. Severe weather warnings, hazards to navigation, and other maritime safety warnings are broadcast on Channel 22A.

Channel 13 (156.65 MHz) This channel is the bridge to bridge or "piloting" channel, used for communicating navigation information between ships. Strictly used for navigational purposes by commercial, military, and recreational vessels at locks, bridges and harbors.

Channel 6 (156.3 MHz)This channel is the ship to ship frequency used for safety related communications. This channel is not used for ordinary operational navigation or personal communications.

What Do Certain Words I Hear on the Radio Mean?

MAYDAY is a request for immediate assistance. LISTEN! DO NOT TRANSMIT!! Determine if you're in a position to help. If not, maintain radio silence. "MAYDAY" identifies an imminent, life-threatening emergency.

PAN-PAN (pronounced pahn-pahn) is used when the safety of a boat or  person is in jeopardy. Man-overboard messages are sent with the PAN-PAN signal.

SECURITE (pronounced say-cure-e-tay) is used to pass navigation information or weather warnings.

What if I Hear Someone Saying MAYDAY on Channel 16?
    If you have a radio and you are under way, you are required to monitor Channel 16. MAYDAY takes precedence over all other transmissions. If you hear a MAYDAY, remain silent and listen. Take down the information being passed. If the Coast Guard or other rescue authority responds, maintain silence and listen, but do not respond. 

However, if there is no response, take action. Try raising the distressed vessel over the radio. Gather more information, especially the position. Attempt to raise the Coast Guard while traveling toward the vessel. Sometimes the Coast Guard may not hear the distressed vessels transmissions, but can hear another vessel near the scene; therefore, call the Coast Guard again, just in case. If you raise them, give them the information you have and follow their instructions. If you cannot contact the Coast Guard, attempt to assist the other vessel to the best of your ability without placing yourself in danger.

What If I Need Help?
    If you have an imminent life threatening emergency, transmit on Channel 16:

1. MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY!
         2. This is (name of boat three times, call letters once).
         3. Repeat once more, "MAYDAY", (your boat's name).
         4. Now report your position (give as accurate a position as
             possible).
         5. Report nature of emergency.
         6. Report the kind of assistance desired.
         7. Report number of people on board and condition of any injured.
         8. Description of the boat and seaworthiness.

Then wait for a response. If there is none, repeat the message.

Do I Need A Radio License or Operator's Permit?
    You must have a SHIP STATION LICENSE for your radio before operation. An OPERATOR'S PERMIT is only required if you dock in a foreign port. To obtain forms and additional information contact the FCC at (202) 418-3676(FORM).

Note: The 1996 telecommunications act states that "voluntary" (recreational) vessels need not have a ship station license in order to use a VHF radio.

Transmission of a false (hoax) distress or emergency message or using obscene or profane language is illegal. If search and rescue units are sent out, the perpetrator is responsible for their costs in addition to the fine.

(This article was reprinted in whole from the US Coast Guard boating website at <http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/radio.htm#top> )

Marty
    Very good info! It should be placed permanently on this site.
    Chris

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: proper way to use marine radio? 2007/07/29 13:33:28 (permalink)
    Sponsukars boat can't be bigur.  he's too old duud, he couldn't pull it to the lake.

It doesn't look lik you culd git 22 feets in that bote, it would sank.
    Jump to: