Current Time: 2:40:57 PM Back to Forums :
Your Last Visit: 24-Apr-2014 2:40:57 PM  
You must be a registered user to post to 1. Total Chaos Discussion Board. Please login below if you have a account on FishUSA.com Discussion Boards.
You are here:
FishUSA.com Discussion Boards
    1. Total Chaos Discussion Board
    4 Stroke Motor Bracket.

Moderated by:  Total+Chaos 
Subscribe to this thread
Thread Subject: 4 Stroke Motor Bracket. started on 16-Jan-2004 8:51:50 AM by Rod Buster  
Rod Buster
Total Posts: 11

posted on 16-Jan-2004 8:51:50 AM
I'm getting ready to buy my kicker bracket for my 99 Trophy 2052 I/O.The unit I'm looking at is a Garelick model # 71090 it's rated for up to 169lbs. with a lift of 9 1/2 inchs.There is another model that's rated for 175lbs. with a lift of 15 1/2 inchs.I know the weight ratings are good but not sure if I should get the 9 1/2 or 15 1/2 inch lift??
The kicker is 2004 Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust,elec. start,long shaft with remote but no power trim.

Any input?

Thanks.

http://www.cgedwards.com/garelick/gar1.html

IP Hidden Search for posts by Rod Buster       
Total Chaos
Total Posts: 64

posted on 16-Jan-2004 10:48:57 AM
I have the Garelick bracket you're looking at(w/9 1/2" lift)and I can tell you that I don't have enough lift, and I'm running a short shaft. I have to manually tilt my motor to get it partially out of the water when running even after lifting it all the way. I also had to put 4" spacer blocks to get the bracket out away from the boat as the bigger 4stroke power head hit the transom. I don't know if you'll have that trouble with the Trophy but it's something to check out.
Brian
IP Hidden Search for posts by Total Chaos       
windburn
Total Posts: 7

posted on 16-Jan-2004 12:48:01 PM
Hey Chris, was that the kicker mount that you used on your Sabre? I want to add a kicker soon and was thinking about the garelick with the heaviest weight rating and greatest amount of travel for my 22' Sabre. Will be looking for a 4-stroke 8 or 9.9 kicker soon. I have an older 6hp Johnson 2 stroke on my 18', but think I want 4 stroke to power the Sabre. BTW, those easy steers have really gone up in price. Sounds like I might have have to do some creative custom rigging to adapt a kicker mount. Are ther any other comperably priced brackets other than garelick out there? THANX
IP Hidden Search for posts by windburn       
Total Chaos
Total Posts: 64

posted on 16-Jan-2004 4:42:55 PM
Yes that was on my Sabre. The problem with the Sabre is that the transom angles up and away from the back causing clearance problems. The Garelick was the only one I looked at but I see now that Cabelas has some nice electric models that might have worked better and there's also some nice electronic steering devices out there that work with a hand held remote for the kicker only. I guess if you have the money to spend they are the real ticket. Anyway the 169lb. Garelick will work fine and the easy steer will too. The 4 stroke will be a better option as well. I had an 8hp 2 stroke for years but couldn't use it once the waves hit 4 ft. My 9.9hp 4 stroke pushes the Sabre through 6-8fters with ease.
Brian
IP Hidden Search for posts by Total Chaos       
Nemesis

Total Posts: 11

posted on 19-Jan-2004 7:30:14 AM
Dont forget to use a Controll King electronic throttle control unit. This will make it a complete package.

Brad
IP Hidden Search for posts by Nemesis       
grey beard
Total Posts: 3

posted on 19-Jan-2004 9:49:19 PM
Some years ago after wearing out my OMC kicker bracket I upgraded to and electric tilt and trim for my 9.9 4-stroke Yamaha. I think the company that made it some 9yrs ago has been bought out by the parent company for MinnKota. Back then it was almost $400 but trust me when you don't have to hang out the back in 4 footers anymore, you are happy with your investment. I have the remote control switch mounted right next to the throttle. It is solid enuf to handle the wt of a 25hsp.

I purchased mine at Marine General 800-777-8557 in Duluth,MN. Nice to purchase out of state and no sales tax more than pays shipping.

Tight lines and full coolers,

Grey Beard
IP Hidden Search for posts by grey beard       
big easy

posted on 5-Feb-2004 9:49:32 PM
I have the 15-1/2" Garelick bracket holding a 9.9 yamaha high thrust on the back of my 1987 2160 trophy hardtop IO. I love this setup,but even with the 15-1/2" lift the lower few inches of the motor drags in the water when I'm under power.
It's really not a big deal,but i'd rather be able to get it completely out of the water,and unfortunately I can't tilt it because I have it connected to the outdrive by an EZ-Steer rod. there is no way that I can reach it ( the ez-steer rod) from inside the boat to disconnect it. Overall it works great. Good luck with your setup.
IP Hidden Search for posts by big easy       
big easy

posted on 5-Feb-2004 9:50:22 PM
I have the 15-1/2" Garelick bracket holding a 9.9 yamaha high thrust on the back of my 1987 2160 trophy hardtop IO. I love this setup,but even with the 15-1/2" lift the lower few inches of the motor drags in the water when I'm under power.
It's really not a big deal,but i'd rather be able to get it completely out of the water,and unfortunately I can't tilt it because I have it connected to the outdrive by an EZ-Steer rod. there is no way that I can reach it ( the ez-steer rod) from inside the boat to disconnect it. Overall it works great. Good luck with your setup.
IP Hidden Search for posts by big easy       

= new posts   = no new posts   = closed thread
HTML code is OFF, AMB code is ON, [IMG] code is ON, Smileys are ON
Jump To: